If you are accused of a sex crime, you could be facing a lengthy prison term and the possibility of registering as an offender for the rest of your life. You need a caring, knowledgeable and professional Las Vegas sex crimes lawyer who can help you understand your rights and achieve the best outcome possible as you move through the criminal justice system.
At Hofland & Tomsheck, our knowledgeable criminal defense lawyers have nearly two decades of experience helping clients accused of sex crimes. We know how much is at stake and we will do everything possible to clear your name and help you avoid conviction so you can move on with your life. Call or contact us online today to learn more about how a sex crimes lawyer in Las Vegas can help with your case and to get answers to questions such as:
- What potential penalties do I face when accused of a sex crime?
- What should I do if I’ve been accused of a sex crime?
- How can a Las Vegas sex crimes attorney help with my case?
Penalties for sex crimes in Las Vegas will vary depending upon the specific criminal act you are accused of committing. Some of the occurrences that can result in being charged with a sex crime include:
- Prostitution or soliciting a prostitute
- Possession or production of child pornography
- Soliciting a minor for sexual activity
- Internet sex crimes
- Sexual assault
Prostitution or soliciting a prostitute is usually a misdemeanor and the penalties are typically small. For most sex crimes, however, you will be charged with a felony, you could face mandatory minimum sentences and you could even be sent to prison for the rest of your life.
Sex crimes can also be illegal under both state law and federal law. When you are charged with a federal crime, you need a Las Vegas sex crimes lawyer who has the ability to handle these cases as the penalties are often more serious.What Should I do if I’ve Been Accused of a Sex Crime?
If you have been accused of a sex crime, contact an attorney right away. You should speak with a lawyer before being questioned by the police, as you have the right to avoid offering incriminating information that could be used against you. Your attorney can also:
- Argue for bail at a bail hearing
- Advise you on how to plead in a sex crimes trial
- Petition to prevent evidence from being used to secure a conviction if the evidence was collected illegally in violation of your Fourth Amendment rights
- Investigate the allegations and plan a defense to introduce reasonable doubt about your guilt
- Negotiate a plea bargain so your sentence may be reduced to a lesser charge
- Defend you against sex crimes charges in court, raising affirmative defenses or introducing doubt about your guilt
Knowing what steps to take can be daunting when you face serious sex crimes charges and you need a lawyer you can trust to help with your case.How can a Las Vegas Sex Crimes Lawyer Help?
The law guarantees those accused of a crime the right to be represented by a lawyer. This rule recognizes how important legal advice is in making the justice system work. A Las Vegas sex crimes lawyer at Hofland & Tomsheck can put decades of legal experience to work on your behalf to help minimize the problems associated with the charges you face.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation.